Ok here is a compilation of all the software and useful tools I’ve come across whilst writing. Some of them I’ve reviewed on here already, more coming soon.
Got an idea? Well get planning! Here’s some useful outlining, brainstorming and mind- mapping software:
- Tree Sheets
- Visual Understanding Environment (VUE)
- Oak Outliner
- Work Flowy
- The Outliner of Giants
Just want to get writing? You want a word processor:
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
- My Writing Spot
- Open Office
Making notes? Here you go:
Timelines giving you a headache? Try these:
Now perhaps you want to organise those notes. Got a lot of research? Character sheets? Images? Well here’s some tools to keep all that together:
Are you easily distracted? The following tools will keep you on track:
Even more productivity tools to help keep you focussed on your task:
- Cold Turkey
- Productivity Owl
- Simple Blocker
- Strict Workflow
- Time Doctor
- Waste No Time
- Website Blocker
So you’ve got something down? Need to edit?
All done? Perhaps you’d like some e-publishing tools:
- Mobipocket Creator
I’m feeling generous, have some more cool stuff:
Enjoy! I may update the list as I find more, or I’ll make a second list.
I need feminism because females students made up the majority of my 12th grade high school classes: math = 82%, chemistry = 77%, physics 80%, english = 82%. But we’re not even close to being equally represented in what we’re learning in school.
The # of pieces of literature we read with a female lead character: 1
The # of female authors we read: 2
The # of women in history we learned about in-depth (in the entire course): 1 (Margaret Thatcher)
# of women we learned about in the sciences and math: the textbooks made some attempt to occasionally mention females in sciences. HOWEVER, they were always placed to the side of the page, out of the main text.
FEMALES made up the majority of my classes.
So why can’t we be equally represented in our own education? WE DESERVE BETTER! <3
I went to a small school in a rural area in Canada, so I know that my class stats may be different from others in city schools. However, this is still a problem in our education system!
Some links I have found in various Tumblr Posts that I have saved on my computer. I do not take credit for collecting all these links. Unfortunately, I did not have the mind to save/note where these various links come from. Thank you to whoever compiled these links together.
General Writing Tips, Guides and Advice
How to be Confident in Your Writing
Start Your Novel Already!
Why First Chapters Matter
How to Outline a Novel
Word Building 101
Common Mistakes in Writing
Tips on Getting Started
What Not to Do
7 Tips to Become a Better Writer from Stephen King
How to Use Reading to Become a Better Writer
Why Writers Must Read
How to Finish What You Start: A Five-Step Plan for Writers
31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing
10 Tips to Write Fanfiction
Writing a Blurb
10 Writing Tips
Point of View
Speed Up Your Writing
Recieving Bad News
Useful Writing Apps
Plot and Conflict
What is Conflict?
Where’s Your Conflict?
Adding Conflict to Your Scenes
Guides for Using Inner Conflict That Makes Sense
Plotting Your Novel
Internal and External Conflict
The Top Ten Plotting Problems
The Elements of Plot Development
Writing a Plot Your Own Way
Develop a Plot
Tension and Conflict
Your Plot, Step by Step
Plot vs. Exposition
Plot and Conflict
Character DevelopmentHow to Describe the Body Shape of Female CharactersCharacter Apperance Help
Words to Describe Voice
Body Language Cheat Sheet
Character Development Exercises
101 Character Development Questions
Art of Character Development
Characters You Need to Reinvent
Making Characters Likeable
Heros and Villains
Understanding Body Language
100 Positive Traits
Mental Illness in Writing
Conflicts and Characters
Indifferent, Distant Characters
Being a Bitch
Writing Nice Characters
Writing Characters with Mental Illness
Writing Male Characters
Playing Male Characters
Characters with Glasses
Writing Female Characters
Writing Intriuging Male and Female Characters
Spelling, Punctuation and GrammarPlacement of Speech TagsGrammar and Spelling
American vs. British Grammar
How to Use the Semicolon
Introduction to the Basic Rules of Punctuation
All About Dialouge
11 Grammar Tips
Correct Use of Apostrophe
40+ Tips to Improve your Grammar and Punctuation
Better Writing: Grammar & Spelling
Semicolons and Colons
Underlining and Italicizing
Dashes and Parentheses
List of 1000+ Adjectives
All About Names
Genre Based20 Tips to Writing Love ScenesOn Love And Sex
All That Sex!Writing “Real” Men in Romance Fiction
How to Write a Kissing Scene: Valentine Edition
How to Write a Kiss? And Should You Write Sex?
The Keys to Conflict
Writing Gender-Specific Dialouge
Things Smut Writers Should Know
How to Write a Sex Scene
3 Secrets to Writing Sex
Writing Love Scenes
Why You Should Write Love Stories
How to Write Horror
Horror Plot Cliches
25 Things You Should Know About Writing Horror
Plot and Character in Horror Fiction
7 Laws of Comedy
5 Secrets for Improving Comedy Writing
How to Break into Comedy
How to Be Funny
Mystery Writing Lessons
10 Rules for Mystery
focus@will combines neuroscience + music to boost productivity and tune out distractions!
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS I CANNOT BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW AMAZING THIS WEBSITE IS. I sat down just to try it and hammered out one and a half Plot A Month posts in a half hour. I NEVER CLICKED AWAY FROM THE POST ONCE. I don’t know what magic this website uses but it’s fucking amazing.
Anonymous asked fuckyourwritinghabits:Do you have any tips for writing a video game script? Not a long video game like Skyrim, but like a short, indie horror game. Thanks!
Facebook Status Shit
- Katie: So when a female artist is naked in her own music video, it's an outrage. But when there are multiple naked women in a male's music video, it's totally fine.
- Me: Fucking this!!!!!!!
- Dana: why don't women just stop being naked all the damn time
- Me: Fuck off. Women can be naked if they want. Their body not yours.
- Dana: LOL then don't cry about it since its "their body" and they chose to be seen like that in the first place. no need to get so defensive xx
- Me: None of what you said makes any sense. The point is that one is acceptable when given 'permission' of a man and everybody is happy. But when women do it of their own accord they are suddenly a slut because they don't have that man's 'permission'.
- Dana: YOU MAKE NO FUCKING SENSE, oh my gooooodddd, the whole thing is fucking consensual so why the fuck are you mad about it? a whole lot of fucking women in this world have made it clear they don't need "permission" to be naked or whatever, infact they never really needed it in the first place. women aren't victims. if the woman has the right to be naked then any other human being has the right to judge them for it. its fucking natural, not everyone is a freedums loving feminazi such as yourself. it is degrading anyway if the woman is naked and its degrading for the male to sing about the "blurred lines" of consensual/non consensual sex, assuming this is what the status is about. they are both in the wrong
- Dana: forgot to add, if they can be naked whenever, why should they care about "permission" or "outrage"?
- Me: The problem is the shaming.The problem is when we women shame another for doing what they want with their body. You say that everyone judges, and you are right - but is being a bully okay? Is picking on someone or saying shit like they're ugly or a nerd or whatever okay? No because it's rude and you have no right to say that crap to them. So right now what is happening is we are calling women sluts for showing skin and doing these things of their own accord, now if you did that in school called somebody a slut it's bullying right? You have no right to say shit about any other human being and tell them what to do with their own body. Keep your judgemental shit to yourself.
- Me: They shouldn't I'm saying that it's how the public sees things and the public is stupid and rude.
- Dana: what the fuck?! when did i EVER mention that being a "bully" is okay? stop trying to put words in my mouth just because i shot down your shitty and horribly biased argument. by the way i don't need you to educate me about what's going on in the world, im very aware thank you very much. by the way, what you see on tumblr doesn't represent the views of the public. infact i'd say a lot of people are unfortunately tolerating your feminist victimizing bullshit. if you really want to "empower" women then stop making them look like the victims of fucking everything just because a very tiny minority of people who DARE to speak out against their slutty actions on the internet.
- Me: Because that is what you are doing. You are telling them what to do with their bodies and then dictating that they are sluts. Calling someone a slut is being a bully. I'm a feminist because I'm for equality. I'm a feminist because we blame rape victims for what they were wearing or whether they were drinking. I'm a feminist because women are sterotyped as more loving and nurturing then men - so men lose out in custody cases. I'm a feminist because men can't come out if they were raped because then they would be weak - they'd be like a woman. I'm a feminist because women still earn less then men counterparts. I'm a feminist because people like you think feminism is a dirty word. I'm a feminist because when I had a mohawk I was called a lesbian based on my looks. I'm a feminist because it's okay cfor a women to dress up in 'boyish clothes' which is fine, but if they were a man they are looked down upon because being a woman is the worse thing a guy can be. I am a feminist because honor killing is still a thing. I am a feminist because blurred lines is a song. I am a proud feminist because I believe in equality. I believe that women should stop having to be judged for what they do on their own terms. You have no right to tell them what to do. And we should fight for their right to do as they please.
- Dana: lmao where did you get that from, tumblr?
- Me: No. I didn't.
- Dana: there is literally no point in arguing anymore because you have your head stuck up so far up your ass, you refuse to listen me when i say that BOTH sides are wrong and neither are victims of anything since they both chose to do what they did. you're actually so fucking delusional and stupid, do you honestly think when a woman is literally on the streets naked its going to somehow EMPOWER women? all it will do is attract attention in the worst way possible. that's why i don't think women should be god name naked all the time. if a naked feminist protester is holding up a sign about "inequal pay" (which by the way is something completely false because all initial people that were in the studies had different kind of jobs, e.g a male heart surgeon vs a female office worker), what will the bystander notice first? the well thought out sign or the tits and vag blatantly in their face? being naked feminist is a total fucking oxymoron since it just reduces the woman to be seen as a sex object since she is naked. $10 says you're going to start blaming the man who notices the naked woman first because FUCK THE PATRIARCHY!!111!!!!one!
- Me: http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/files/2011/08/AP110507141130.jpg
- - I think it does.
- Dana: ok well you keep crying about how society is "stupid" and "rude" just because people don't want your shitty and careless actions shoved in their faces all the god damn time. i'm off, toodles xxx
Yes, yes you are absolutely right. There aren’t any victims. There’s no proof anywhere, ever. We are all equal in this beautiful planet.
That school girl who got fucking SHOT in the fucking FACE because she was a girl who thought she deserved basic human rights such as education. But nah, not a…
I need feminism because I have to plan my workout schedule around when I’m least likely to be attacked.
Because 9:30pm should never be too late for a girl to be outside.
Skyrim poster by Lee Shackleton
This is a quick exercise designed to sketch out the major events of your novel. It only gives you a map— you have to make the drive yourself!
Get a kitchen timer or set your alarm. You’re going to free-write for three minutes on several questions. (If you want to cheat and write for five minutes on each, go ahead. Just be warned the exercise might take you an hour then.) In free-writing, you put your fingers to keyboard or pen to paper and write, without regard to grammar, spelling, sense, or organization, for a specified period of time. The trick is— you can’t stop till the bell rings. If you can’t think of anything to say, you just write your last word over and over. Pretty quick you’ll get bored and think of something else to write. But remember, turn off the editor. This is exploration, not real writing.
Type or write the question, then set the clock, read the question allowed, and go.